Under the guidance and supervision of the SRSA, the Regional Security Assistant assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UNDP personnel in the country or region of assignment.
Summary of Key Functions:
Assists RSA/SRSA in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security of UNDP;
Assists in maintaining the UNDP Security Plans as well as the UNDP Warden systems;
Supports the RSA/SRSA with the assessment of Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) for the COs;
Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UNDP personnel, offices and assets;
Organizes and delivers training courses on security awareness and preparedness;
Assists in ensuring residential (Minimum Operating Residential Security Standards – MORSS) and office safety, and security preparedness;
Provides general administrative assistance to the RSA/SRSA
1. Assists RSA/SRSA in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security of UNDP:
* Liaises and coordinates, only when mandated by UNDSS and as instructed by the RSA/SRSA with the host government security organization and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation;
* Help to assess the security situation pertaining to the COs and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the RSA/SRSA
* Communicates information on security to the UNDP CO management and provides host country security advice in the absence of the RSA/SRSA, as required; and
* Maintains regular contact with UNDSS and Security Focal Points of other UN Agencies.
2. Assists in maintaining the UNDP Security Plans as well as the UNDP Warden systems:
* Helps in the preparation and review of UNDP Security plans in accordance with the Country Security Plans;
* Supports actions during the implementation of the UNDP Security Plans, as required;
* Maintains UNDP Warden systems, both for national and international staff.
3. Supports the RSA/SRSA with the assessment of Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) for the COs.
4. Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UNDP personnel, offices and assets.
5. Organizes and delivers training courses on security awareness and preparedness for UNDP personnel, and providing security orientation to newly assigned staff members. Conducts security briefings for both national and international staff, as instructed by the RSA/SRSA and in cooperation with UNDSS.
6. Provides general administrative assistance to the RSA/SRSA
* Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents;
* Maintains a database on contact details in relation to UNDP security contacts;
* Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings as required.
7. Performs other security –related tasks assigned by the RSA/SRSA:
Conducts security evaluations and assessments and provides advice on security measures for the residences (MORSS) of UNDP staff, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UNDP security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of guards;
Back stops for the RSA/SRSA in his/her absence.